Oct 11, 2011
16 October, 2011, and so it begins. Allan started building down the east side of the garden. Progress was slow because we were still working most of the time. But he’s the sort of person who comes home from work and does more work at home.
8 Nov: Allan built a sort of clamp thing out of a couple of boards to roll the wire with and make it really tight.
Nov 8, 2011
He started on the east side of the property working from north to south. By the end of November he had made it all the way down to the gear shed…all of this accomplished a few hours at a time during breaks from fall clean up and bulb planting.
east side fence, Nov 2011
In mid December, progress was much faster now because we were on staycation. The fence turned the corner at the southeast and headed west across the woods. Tree roots dictated where to dig the posts. The property goes out past this to the “meander line” along the port parking lots.
24 December 2011
27 December 2011: You can see the fence at the far end and coming up the west side.
We chose to do the entire fence with a clear metal mesh so that we would not lose any of our view of the port, especially in the winter when the leaves fall off the salmonberries and we can see all the way from the Ilwaco Pavilion to Jessie’s Fish Co. We had an accident when we bought some mesh at Home Depot; it turned out to be too short, so it went in the woodsiest section where the deer would find it harder to jump. (That will teach us to not shop local.) All the rest of the mesh came from Dennis Company in Long Beach and the wood came from Oman Builders Supply. It’s a heavy duty mesh, not flimsy and wobbly like chicken wire and Allan did a wonderful job stretching it. The effect is almost invisible.
The fence has nine gates, incorporating six old doors. One allows our neighbours to the east access to maintain the back side of a cottage which is built almost on our property line. To avoid building the fence so close that they could not get in to paint, we swung the gate over to attach next to the corner of the cottage. We have a door at the south east and south west ends of the fence to make it possible to take a shortcut to the Saturday market, and one gate bars a wide space that can be used for hauling debris out of the southernmost bogsy woods.
11 January, building the arbour
Near the house, we angled the fence in to meet the corner instead of running right up along our neighbour’s driveway. We left some lawn outside the fence instead of imperiously claiming every inch with a run all the way up the side of the yard. We like our neighbour, and when her granddaughter visits, we don’t want her to have to struggle to maneuver in the parking area.
building the arbour, 11-13 January, 2012
arbour, 14 January
I worked on making new or expanded garden beds all along the fence where desired because it was easier to do when I could step back and forth through the fence, before the wire went up.
On January 15th, weather brought a one day stop to the project. Snow revealed that deer walked all the way around the south and west sides of the gated fence and found the openings in the arbour.
15 January 2012
But two days later Allan went on with the project, even working after dark. For the tall openings in the arbour section of the fence we used deer mesh because it comes in a wider roll and is even more invisible than the wire mesh.
17 January 2012
building gates, January 2012
Allan hand built a gate for one of the large openings in the arbour, and the other is made of two matching old doors. Because he did most of the carpentry work outside, a big storm on the 19-20 of January had him painting gates in the garage.
arbour gates, 21 January
At first I had thought maybe we would not need a gate on the northeast side of the house but it would have been so frustrating to have deer walk around and enter after all that work that we went ahead with one last section of fence. The narrowest spot was from the sunporch over to the old wooden fence on the east side.
installing the front gate
At last we were completely enclosed. We found the perfect home over the front gate for a wooden arch that I had had kicking around for years. And the old Tangly Cottage sign went up again at last. I made an order from Heirloom Roses now that I finally had a safe place to grow them.
Allan built the central gate on the south side to look like a continuation of the fence and over it he put an arbour top in the shape of a silhouette of a Chinook canoe.
The mid portion of the month of January was tough as both of us had bad colds and yet were slogging on, especially Allan. I hurt my knee, as well, and was barely able to hobble toward the end of the month.
arbour gates by night
arbour and sky
arbour and fence
I couldn’t have been more pleased with the form, the functionality, the painted gates, the wire mesh to grow vines on and the sight of deer outside unable to come in.
The very last part of the fence project was the building of a bridge over the swale in the bogsy wood to reach the central gate. As the end of staycation rapidly approached, Allan made quick work of it.
As you can see, we made the low south side of the fence more deer proof by mounting the heads of the many garden tools that we break in the course of our gardening years.
tool head fence toppers
4 February window view
The numbers: 62 posts, 410 feet of fence, 8 gates (one double). Three gates made by Allan and the rest made of old doors.
At last, the time came to go back to work after a not at all restful staycation. Above, the view from our south window with the fence and a nice little farewell to staycation campfire in our fire pit.
(For a day by day description of the fence building, with more details, see the album on our Facebook page.
Read Full Post »