Monday, 7 March 2016
Although I had every intention of staying home and working on the scrapbook blog, I did have an errand to run: delivering one of the scrapbooks to a friend who has access to good scanning equipment and wishes to scan the pictures that appeal to her most. Just in case the weather changed, I asked Allan to put the work trailer on.
Surprisingly, even though we had left the house in rain, the sun emerged, so we went to city works, filled all our buckets with mulch, and fluffed up the garden in the northeast quadrant of Fifth Street Park.
More sun called for more mulch. On the way back to City Works, we paused to weed the little monument garden at Culbertson Park.
More buckets of mulch improved the west side of Fifth Street Park.
Next came the deadheading of the Long Beach welcome sign.
I did the front side, and Allan the back (or the “welcome” side and the “thank you” side). I had said to shear back the flowers. Unfortunately, there was a misunderstanding.
This will be an interesting experiment to see if cutting the foliage all the way back will prevent the bottomed-out clumps from blooming vigorously next year. Don’t try this at home.
I am thinking of moving a lot of these narcissi into a park, as they are too tall for the front and the old foliage wants to hide the new tulips that got planted behind. Next fall I could replant with the shortest cultivars.
Just as we finished (both doing the job and having an argy bargy re what it means to “shear” plants), the wind picked up considerably, so we headed home.
We swung round the port gardens to see how those narcissi are doing.
The little area under the red sign has never looked better, although I did not want our van’s reflection in the photo.
Not many narcissi could be seen in the boatyard garden. I hope people are heeding the “please leave the flowers for everyone to enjoy” signs. Along the port was better, although still not as showy as I would like:
We got home with time to weed a bucket full of shotweed out of the center back yard garden. (Allan scraped moss off the front sidewalk.) As I weeded, I had a revelation. In her scrapbooks, my Grandma posted over the years several clippings showing ponds with stone edges.
I had shared this dream but, like my grandma, had never realized it. My former Ilwaco garden had a lovely natural pond, and in this one, I had not been able to figure out a place to put a pond like any of the above. Today came the revelation to put it in the center bed!
It would echo the water in the water boxes:
So should it go toward the end, where the sundial is?
Oh! The sundial could even sit IN it like in an overflow pond in my old garden.
Or should it be behind the sun dial? I could transplant the Geranium ‘Rozanne’ stream to open up and encircle the sides of the new pond.
I also decided that I had to move that Hamemelis ‘Glowing Embers’ that I had planted too close to the Allan’s narrow grass path. Brainstorm: I moved the columnar silver Salix up there. The Hamemelis went up by the front fence, after another one had been dug up and moved to under the purple leaved plum tree.
And then the rain came in earnest.
And out came a double rainbow.
The weather calls for two days of rain…good days to work on scrapbook blog, I hope. I have an MRI and an ultrasound scheduled for next week so…TICK TOCK! I have all the scrapbooks set up in 24 pre-scheduled blog posts except for the last one which, because it is a cloth book of mostly baby photos, is of less fascination to me so will be just one entry.
Ginger’s Garden Diaries
from my mother’s garden diaries of two decades ago
1997 (age 72):
March 7: I started using the wood in the shed. Instead of using wheelbarrow and piling it on the porch, I’m bringing in an armload right into the house. The wood burns good but it also burns fast.
1998 (age 73):
March 7: 1:00-3:00 Cloudy and cool. I moved the containers of spring bulbs over to the RR ties along patio path. They were so heavy (the tall ones) that I had a headache in just a short while. I shoveled the soil (mud) from the plastic into the empty containers and pulled plastic over the mushroom compost in back.