Thursday, 13 April 2017
Despite forecast of a rainy and windy day, the weather looked workable so we went back to the Bolstad beach approach garden.
I like to do the beds in consecutive order. It gives me a sense of progress. Today, though, we skipped over the ones that had puddles at the curb.
Allan cut down a volunteer wax myrtle that was encroaching on an escallonia.
I found a new infuriating thing: All along the two sections in which we worked today, someone has been digging up narcissi and crocus bulbs, leaving holes and broken foliage as evidence. I suspect the same person who is thieving from the planters.
Allan dug up rugosa roses along the edges.
Allan removed most of the hard to weed patch of tatty kinnikinnick.
I planted some of that Bee seed mix.
The strong wind brought two big rain squalls over us, during which we took shelter in the van. The squalls passed quickly, so that we were able to get our target section done and move on to a second one.
Before we got very far with the dream of getting two sections done, a serious squall appeared with no bright sky behind it, so we gave up for the day. So much for being as tough as the crab fishers on Deadliest Catch!
In the works yard, we found a green bucket that we had feared lost!
Maddeningly, as we got to city works to dump our debris, we could see blue sky….
…and by the time we drove out of the city works yard, the squall had passed.
We had gotten too wet and cold to go back to the approach garden. Instead, we went home and I turned most of a compost bin.
Allan worked in his garden…
I got to erase just one section of beach approach from the work board…
Our goal is to get the beach approach and the two parking lot berms weeded by the Clam Festival on April 29th…