Thursday, 16 March 2017
At the post office, on our way to work, Allan found a note in our box asking him to talk to the postmaster. A postal patron had urgently needed to know the identification of a plant “that looks like a coleus”.
We hoped to accomplish two tasks on the project list today. The first was pruning and weeding the five roses in the back of Coulter Park. They are exceedingly difficult because of weeds, including salmonberry, coming under the fence. The neighbouring house has but a tiny strip between house and fence that would be almost impossible for the homeowner to maintain, and in that strip dwell salmonberries, blackberries, and birds-foot trefoil that long to join up with the roses.
Allan trimmed up in the garden next to the old train depot.
We had two cold and windy squalls of heavy rain pass through; we sat them out in the van to avoid getting drenched and miserable. (During the second one, we went to the Great Escape espresso drive through for invigorating sustenance.)
To add to our load of debris, we decided to do a bit of pruning on an escallonia at city hall.
We dumped our debris at city works and filled up all our buckets with Soil Energy mulch. (The crew had got us a pile from Peninsula Landscape Supply.)
On the Bolstad approach, we filled up the lower spots in the planters.
And we added some mulch to city hall west side garden.
The last five buckets went into Fifth Street Park. Yesterday, drenched from rain, we had left behind a messy patch of sorrel:
A lily bulb had worked its way to the top of the soil. This is just one third of how big it was, after I divided it:
We followed our first load of mulching with a break for delicious crab rolls at Captain Bob’s Chowder.
Back we went to city works to get another load of mulch. Jackpot! I saw two good pallets on the pile.
Now I need just two more for my triple compost bin.
This load went to the big welcome sign garden. It had gotten low after pulling out last year’s annuals and absorbs a large amount of soil.
I am sorry to report that deer are eating the tulips along the east end of the front side. I hope they don’t eat them all. One of these years, we may have to give up on tulips here.
On the way home, we stopped briefly at the Depot Restaurant to pour some water on the two sheltered window boxes, and there we discovered a sad situation.
The spare is weirdly located under the front seats. Everything there had to be moved and the t-bar thingie assembled to loosen a bolt in the floor that holds the spare tire in place.
Despite having to look at the instruction book, Allan got the tire changed in 40 minutes and we were back on our way home. But tomorrow will be devoted to getting a the good (fairly new, now punctured) tire repaired.
When the boatyard spring clean up is done (I hope by Sunday evening), the board will be gloriously blank for a moment and will then fill up with the beach approach clean up and more.